Spectral / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
Brighter, Spectral's smart building platform, is an overlaying platform that enables (commercial) real estate parties to efficiently manage their real estate portfolio and report building performance. The smart buildings team develops technical solutions to dynamically control buildings and drastically reduce the overall energy consumption while improving thermal comfort for occupants. Brighter uses data from building management systems (BMS), indoor air quality sensors, and weather data for the dynamic control of buildings.
Those building management systems include air handling units, hot and cold water loops, boilers, and chillers. These systems can suffer from malfunctions and inefficient operation which either limit the system capacity or render it out of order completely. This consequently leads to higher energy consumption and thermal discomfort. Therefore automated fault detection and diagnosis are essential in reaching the climate goals for the built environment., We're looking for an enthusiastic master's student who is ready for the next step in their career. At Spectral, you will join the control team for our real estate software. During your internship on fault detection diagnosis, you will investigate the various types of faults plaguing office buildings in the Netherlands. With abundant building management system data at your disposal, the objective of the research will be to:
* Explore the various fault types in building systems and create a project scope of select faults for detection and diagnosis
* Review the current FDD methodologies
* Develop fit-for-purpose data-driven or machine learning models that detect and diagnose selected faults
* Test and validate the models for various buildings and conditions
* Scale the models for implementation, * An internship at Spectral is an opportunity to work in a young, dynamic company, within a unique ecosystem that's driving change within buildings and energy systems.
* Within the control team, you will work with real-world data and benefit from our in-house models and tools as well as the experience of talented colleagues.
* The chance to perform cutting-edge research in data-modeling/building management systems and to develop tools to be deployed in buildings within the Netherlands.
* An awesome, multicultural, and very ambitious entrepreneurial team and the chance to change the world for the better using innovative software! This challenging opportunity will put you in an ambitious, international team, with space for your own ideas and for your personal development within a close-knit team that celebrates successes together. No unnecessary hierarchy, but a team of like-minded individuals that are committed to making a lasting change in the energy landscape.
* You will be offered internship compensation. We've got perks like free fruit, organic lunches at the office twice a week, fun weekly drinks, and many more benefits.
We are committed to being a workplace where we can all be ourselves. For us, that means celebrating and promoting diversity. We work hard on creating an inclusive culture where all candidates feel welcome.
Spectral develops technological solutions that unlock the value of energy storage, demand flexibility, and locally produced renewable energy, propelling the evolution of smart energy networks.Our website
You are a Master's student with a strong background in engineering who is eager to learn more about controlling and monitoring of installations in real estate to promote efficiency and, therefore, sustainability., * You are a current master's student in Building, Mechanical, Electrical, Energy, or Computer Engineering
* You are knowledgeable about building management systems and their operations
* You are experienced in programming (preferably in Python)
* You are familiar with time series data and machine learning models
* Fluent in English (both written and verbally)
* Fluent in Dutch