Data Platform Engineer
Picnic / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
The Data Engineering team at Picnic is looking for an experienced engineer to help build the future of its infrastructure. The team is growing fast and managing more data in the data warehouse, more ETL pipelines in Kubernetes, more SQL transformations to represent the business logic of the entire supply chain, and more metadata to tighten everything together. This opens the door to interesting challenges, such as scaling up the infrastructure and the data stack to keep delivering the best insights on a growing list of business domains, to a growing team of analysts and data scientists.
As a Data Platform Engineer at Picnic, you are responsible for designing, maintaining, and improving our Data Platform to ensure that we can scale into the future. You'll work with large data sets in a cloud infrastructure, propose solutions to improve the data stack, and build proofs of concept and complete implementations, to help the team deliver a scalable and robust Data Warehouse. Your work in the Data Platform will make a wide range of applications faster, more resilient, and more precise: from route planning to the delivery of groceries to analyzing supply chains.
Want to know more about the Data Engineering team at Picnic? We've got some blog articles just for you:
* Building a distributed ETL pipeline for a monolithic data warehouse
* Releasing diepvries, a Data Vault framework for Python
* Picnic's Lakeless Data Warehouse
* Data Engineer's Role in the Future of Groceries
* Scaling Business Intelligence with Python and Snowflake
* 7 Antifragile Principles for a Successful Data Warehouse
* How we built our Lakeless Data Warehouse
What you'll do
As a Data Platform Engineer, you will gather requirements, design, implement and maintain a scalable data platform to handle production pipelines.
More specifically, some of the challenges of this role include:
* Improving the cronjob scheduler to better manage the whole range of ETL jobs and their dependencies.
* Creating and improving data manipulation frameworks. For example, have a look at diepvries, our open-source Data Vault loading tool.
* Developing tools to ensure the healthiness of the Data Warehouse, both in terms of job execution and data ingested.
* Building software to keep track of data lineage and other methods to debug data.
* Improving the CI/CD pipelines and the testing environments, to prevent mistakes from ever reaching production.
* Keeping things automated and simple, in order to increase adoption by data engineers, data scientists, and data analysts.
Technologies we use
* Python, SQL
* Snowflake, Tableau
* Argo, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
* CI/CD (TeamCity)
At Picnic, we're revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you're a passionate Data or Software Engineer, we're offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment., Every expert was once a beginner!
You'll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You'll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact. Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you'll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you'll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent)
* At least 2 years of relevant experience in Data Engineering, Software Engineering, or Infrastructure
* Experience with SQL and relational databases
* Experience with Python or other programming languages
* Experience with infrastructure technologies (e.g. schedulers, Docker, K8s)
* You're a great communicator who can explain and present technical topics
* Fluent in English (Dutch not required)
Conditions and benefits
You'll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don't worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it's up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That's why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
* Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we'll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
* In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
* From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who've faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!