Data Scientist - Demand Forecasting
Picnic / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
As a Data Scientist at Picnic, you'll work on creating intelligent, automated systems to solve our company's biggest challenges, at scale. Your main responsibility will be taking ownership of one of the data science team's most impactful projects: article demand forecasting-a direct input for our ordering system. As the owner of the project, you will define the roadmap and grow the team to take our deep learning Temporal Fusion Transformer-based model to the next level. You're more than a model builder: you're a blend of product owner, software engineer, and applied mathematician.
You might think, 'Sounds good, but 80% of my job is going to be cleaning data.' Not here. Our data is registered, logged, consistent, and immaculate. We're a mature team with the infrastructure, tools, and expertise to get models into production. With article demand forecasting being central to Picnic's value proposition, we're looking for the right person to own and drive this project forward.
Check out some of our previous machine learning projects here: https://blog.picnic.nl/tagged/machine-learning
What you'll do
Your main focus will be on article demand forecasting:
* Further improve our state-of-the-art, deep learning-based model for forecasting article demand
* Own the roadmap and act as the single point of contact for the project to business and tech stakeholders
* Lead the development of the Python web service to scale and match Picnic's growth
* Act as the lead for a growing team of other data scientists and analysts working on the project
You will definitely:
* Work closely with business leads to identify opportunities, define business cases, and scope out the requirements
* Develop tools and enhancements for our cloud-based data science platform
* Have the opportunity to improve as a data scientist and grow a team of motivated data scientists and analysts, * Python (Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow, FastAPI - or we build our own packages)
* SQL (Snowflake, Postgres)
Every expert was once a beginner!
* You'll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
* You'll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
* Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you'll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
* With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you'll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
* You'll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don't worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
* Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
* There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
At Picnic, we're revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our affordable and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you're a passionate Data Scientist, we're offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our data-driven, scale-up environment., At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.
* Master's degree or higher in AI, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
* At least three years of work experience in data science, preferably with experience in the time series forecasting domain
* Experience with maintaining a model in a production environment
* Strong Python and SQL skills
* Superb communication skills and ability to transfer knowledge to business stakeholders and the rest of the data science team
* Comfortable with taking responsibility, showing initiative, and working independently
* Ability to think outside the box and an anything-is-possible mindset
* Quality control: commitment to excellence, performance, and efficiency
For bonus points
* Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and CI is a plus
Conditions and benefits
* We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self as well as X vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
* Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it's up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That's why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
* Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we'll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
* In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
* From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who've faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!