Junior Java Developer
Picnic / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
Picnic has over 30 Java backend development teams, each highly involved with and essential to all parts of the company. From enabling a smooth shopping experience to ensuring we fulfill our customers' orders efficiently in our warehouses, there's a wide range of products to work on. Product teams are also supported by the work of our platform teams on key technologies and infrastructure. Through this role, we're looking to expand our Supply Chain domain. This domain builds software for our (automated) warehouses, our fleet of electric vehicles, and much more!
At Picnic your skills will be complemented with the latest tech and our diverse projects will keep you challenged and motivated. Working together with your colleagues, you'll learn to manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables while building your skills as a Java Developer in the Picnic Tech Academy.
Our Java developers are very passionate about what they do, and that comes across in this blog post about our experience in adopting Java 17.
Also, we don't hide what we do. Instead, we open-source with the community that helped us grow. Here's proof: http://picnic.tech
What you'll do
* Through our Tech Academy and the guidance of your mentor, you'll level up your development skills in the first five months
* At the same time, you'll be part of one of our product teams from the very beginning and will start contributing to Picnic from the get-go
* You'll get to work on increasingly challenging tasks and projects, growing all the time, and working collaboratively with your colleagues, Extra credit for:
* Familiarity with Spring, MongoDB, or PostgreSQL
* Relevant working experience alongside your studies
The tech we use
* Java 17 (Reactor and Spring 5)
* ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Kafka
* Maven and Git
* PostgreSQL, MongoDB
* AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault
Hungry for more? Check out https://stackshare.io/picnic-technologies for an overview of our tech stack.
Every expert was once a beginner!
You'll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You'll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you'll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you'll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You'll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don't worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
At Picnic, we're revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our affordable and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat.
If you're a passionate Junior Java Developer, we're offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ in our own Tech Academy and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
Want to take a closer look at the experience of some of our Tech Academy Java Learning Path graduates? Check out Phil's story or the experiences of one of our recent group of graduates!
* You have (or will soon have) a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or a related technical field
* You could be fresh out of college or have up to two years of professional experience in programming and software development
* You've done Java development, and have the willingness to learn technologies to create systems at scale
* Your English skills are on point (no Dutch required)
* You have an interest in our supply chain domain as this is where you would most likely be placed
Conditions and benefits
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it's up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That's why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
* Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we'll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
* In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
* From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who've faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!