Senior Data Scientist (with a focus on Energy Efficiency)
Samotics / Leiden (NL)Apply on site
Energy Efficiency is one of Samotics' product teams, responsible for turning problems our customers face into scalable solutions. The team currently consists of three product developers, a product owner and a machine automation expert, and is led by Jeroen Röhner (Head of Energy Efficiency). You'll work in close collaboration with our other technical teams, such as Software Engineering (responsible for our dashboard) or Data Engineering (managing integration to other systems and databases).
What you will do
Recently Samotics has launched a dedicated product, solely focused at helping our industrial customers decrease their energy use, cost and carbon footprint by improving their equipment's energy efficiency. As Senior Data Scientist Energy Efficiency, you are responsible for developing insights and analyses that further help solve our industrial customers' problems, based on electrical and other data sources. You define the technical vision for our product and provide input to our development roadmap (together with the Head of Energy Efficiency) and translate business requirements to analyses and code. You manage the insight development process (e.g., implementing automated testing, organizing concurrent code development) and lead new research projects (e.g., combining our own systems electrical data with rainfall forecasts and energy prices to optimize sewage network operations for energy usage and cost).
You'll also be helping the development team improve their technical skillset (e.g., in Python, use of Github, etc.) as well as being a linking pin to the other technical teams (Software Engineering, Asset Health, Data Infrastructure, etc.) to ensure the insights we develop are brought to production successfully.
* Define the technical vision for analytics development as part of our product
* Provide input on and steer our product development roadmap
* Own creation of insights from business requests and requirements
* Manage technical skillset and growth of a team of 3-5 product developers for Energy Efficiency and Asset Health (e.g., Python libraries, best code practices, etc.)
* Structure, organize and align our code repository of energy savings insights with other teams in the organization (e.g., concurrent development, use of Github, etc.)
* Identify improvements to our infrastructure and tooling for creating the insights
* Collaborate with both customer-facing, engineering and our product teams, * Affinity with energy optimization, industrial processes or equipment (e.g., drinking water production, wind turbines, pumps, to name a few examples)
* Experience in using very large sets of time-series data
* Entrepreneurial spirit and intrinsic motivation to solve difficult problems
What we offer:
* A competitive salary
* 8% holiday allowance
* €65 net connectivity allowance
* A travel allowance
* A pension plan with no contribution from the employee
* Access to a wide range of learning programs
* A brand-new, custom-designed office (with 90% recycled materials) at a three-minute walk from Leiden Central Station
* Daily free, fresh lunches and healthy snacks when working in the office
* The chance to work on cutting-edge technology that affects industry worldwide and contributes to the fight against climate change
* The ability to work from home 3 days a week and from another country 1 month a year
* A fun and professional company culture based on the principle of freedom and responsibility
The application procedure consists of two steps:
* Introductory call by our recruiter (30 minutes)
* Assessment morning or afternoon where you will speak with three of our heads of departments or team leads about your previous experience, skillset and motivation (3 hours total)
Globally, 300 million industrial electric motors power the global economy while consuming 30% of all energy produced. These motors face three critical problems: they fail unexpectedly, are often operated inefficiently and selected inadequately. This leads to high costs of unplanned downtime and massive energy waste.
At Samotics, we are passionate about solving these problems with a unique, AI-driven solution that lets industrial companies reduce downtime and cut back on their energy usage. Our unique technology is used by many of the most successful and innovative industrial companies.
We are a high-growth company (>100% revenue growth per year) with a diverse, international team working out of our brand-new office in Leiden, The Netherlands. We aim to hire only the very best talent that can scale with us as we deploy our technology across the globe.
This role is ideal for a professional with three years' experience as a data scientist, analyst or consultant working with complex data sets. You get excited about turning data into value for customers, working with both commercial and development teams and building both our product and team., * At least 3 years of relevant work experience
* Master's degree in engineering, data science, computer science or a related field
* Experience in using Python on large data sets
* Worked with complex software projects to generates analysis in a production environment (e.g., organizing multiple developers' work through Github)
* Worked with data science and/or machine learning
* Experience in bringing insights from research (e.g., in a notebook) to production (e.g., handing over to Software Engineering team for dashboard development), involving commercial teams for feedback and input
* Strong at problem solving and critical thinking; able to effectively convey your viewpoint to others