Senior Data Scientist
Overstory / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist who is a creative, but pragmatic, problem-solver. You'll spend most of your time working autonomously or within a small team, building, improving, and running our models. This work will involve exploring satellite imagery sets and other geographical datasets; using machine learning to analyze the images; and delivering the results to our customers. We have models and pipelines at various stages of maturity and we would expect you to use and apply the results of the stable ones and help us improve and validate the ones still in early development.
Big part of the role is using the outputs of our analyses to solve customer needs. You will work closely with our Customer Success team to understand the customers' problems and then work with other Data Scientists and the rest of the tech team to develop solutions to those problems.
On a typical day you could be: running a satellite image through a model, checking the quality of the output, tweaking the input parameters, and retraining the model with new labels; writing Python code to process and analyze GIS data; researching and incorporating new datasets into your project and sharing findings with the team.
You will have responsibility for your own projects, and we'll expect you to take initiative to help us improve overall. Whether the work is about forest damage detection, tree species identification or biodiversity monitoring, you are up for the challenge!
We're always looking to diversify our team further, but we're proud of the fact that four out of the six people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 38% of the overall team identifies as female and 25% of the team are people of color. Eight nationalities are represented in our team, and we speak eight languages: English, Dutch, French, Italian, Indonesian, Portuguese, Cantonese and Russian.
* You are creative and curious.
* You are pragmatic, you know when a simple solution is sufficient or when new model development is required.
* You are a strong communicator, able to express your ideas succinctly. You make complex ideas accessible to others.
* You have an eye for quality, your work is thorough, and you pay attention to both the small details and the larger picture.
* Teamwork is at your core, and you like to help others grow and succeed., * You have at least 3 years of commercial experience as a Data Scientist or Machine Learning Engineer.
* You have advanced Python experience (including PyTorch and/or Tensorflow).
* You have experience working with GIS systems and processing GIS data., * Experience working at an early-stage startup.
Conditions and benefits
* Generous stock options and competitive salary.
* To be a part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth's natural resources, and reverses climate change.
* Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our workdays around our lives, not the other way around.
* The chance to build something from scratch and put your mark on it. Creating a product that solves real climate-related problems - one that is fast and a joy to use - is the exciting opportunity.
* To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance, and respect.