Senior Full Stack Engineer - Remote (Europe)
Fonoa / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
As a company with ambitions to be a world-class API solution for all things tax, we value quality over quantity when building, and we care about creating software that is scalable and maintainable, on which our customers and daily users can rely.
Some pointers about our engineering culture:
* Engineers are given problems to solve, rather than features to build.
* We always try to understand the customer's needs before thinking about implementation details.
* Engineers are owners of their past, present and future; architecture, tools, coding, testing, deployment, operations and scaling
* We work in lean, small teams. We co-own the product roadmap with product managers
* We chose collaboration, compassion and trust over individualism and politics
* We prefer innovation, constant iteration and trust over competition and perfect solutions.
* We support each other, are kind by nature, and give as much feedback to all improve as professionals, * For backend, we build in C#, .NET, Node and Go
* For frontend, we use ReactJS and Typescript
* For persistence we are mostly using MongoDB
* We use Azure and AWS for our cloud services
What you will be doing
* Learn about how painful it is for companies to handle tax manually, and think about how our products are changing the status quo
* Own what you build, with the ability of deciding how to build it, and the responsibility of operating it in the production environment.
* Build meaningful products with REST API's that our customers use and depend on for everyday business (finance, operation, tax and developer teams)
* Build new product features across the stack, from back-end business logic implementation to front-end customer-facing interfaces.
* Write high quality robust, modular code for frontend and backend
* Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs as well as internal applications capabilities
* Record and collate lots and lots of data sets from all these operations for long term storage and future insight
* Use every learning and observation to improve our products, constantly
* Understand customer needs and the pain they are experience related to tax automation
* Understand competitive products, * You are fully proficient in English. Written and spoken, as we are a bunch from around the world, but we work in English.
* You have a strong sense of ownership, you care about what you build, and that you are building the right thing that serves your customers.
* You're a builder at heart, you like the opportunity of having tons of exposure, making things work for a company long term, and have an entrepreneurial attitude for anything that comes your way.
* You are either eager to learn, or comfortable scaling and operating large-scale microservices in high-growth environments.
* You are proficient in a couple of languages, most of our current codebase is in node.js with Typescript and C# on the backend. We use ReactJS on the front end, but we are not married to any tools, we see them as a means to an end.
* You like to keep your house tidy and clean, and you just can't leave code not covered with a test. Or a feature undelivered. Or dead code rotting in production.
* You ship, fast, continuously, and iteratively, learning on each step.
* You like to use data over opinions to make decisions. And are ok with finding the data yourself when it's missing.
* You are comfortable with change, either in priorities, goals and deadlines. You see this more as an opportunity than a hurdle. You are also comfortable with challenging the status quo and pushing for change yourself.
* You're looking to make a serious impact, and are excited about working in a high growth startup., We see hiring as a human process. A two-way conversation to see if there is a good fit between you and us. As a startup growing quickly, we also like to keep things streamlined, and currently, our process won't include a lkive task, whiteboards or technical assessments.
An idea of your hiring journey with us:
* Meeting with Recruiting to introduce each other and explore mutual interests.
* Follow up via email to cover other questions in a written manner
* 1 hour conversation with engineering to get to know each other and see if you would be excited to work together.
* 1 hour conversation with our co-founders.
We aim to give you the best candidate experience, keep you updated and be transparent with our feedback along the way.
If you don't know the technologies we use, or don't have experience with large scale projects, but you like learning and are interested in the challenges we have, apply anyway! We are trying to build a diverse team.
Conditions and benefits
* Our salary range depending on experience is of €60k - €120k per year
* Attractive equity to keep you positively incentivised
* 25 days annual leave (plus any local public holidays).
* Top tech gear and flexible budget to build your ideal remote office.
* Bi-weekly lunches paid by Fonoa.
* Unlimited budget for learning is on us. Whether you want to attend a conference, do a course or purchase books or tools, we want to support you as much as we can
* Company annual offsite.
Our ways of working
* Remote work and async, work from anywhere in the world.
* Co-working spaces if you want to switch things up.
* Option to meet team members regularly to do creative work and bond in person.
* Best idea wins; we're all ears when it comes to ways to do things better.
* Frequent visits to virtual Fonoa HQ and our Fonoa island on Mibo.
* Product first culture
We are builders at heart
* We are a collective of independent and deep thinkers.
* We are curious, committed, and humble.
* We work with dedicated, open-minded people from all backgrounds who bring in their different perspectives to help us on our mission to make taxes simple.
* We're passionate about making a real impact.
We work remotely
* We're building a fully distributed team. We like writing to communicate when meetings are pointless, and meet when it matters. This allows us to work flexibly, efficiently, and focus on achieving goals.
* We focus on deep work and put our time where it matters the most, decisions.
* We trust you to work on your terms. You decide how you work and where you work.
* You have ownership over your work that directly influences the roots of our company.
We make taxes simple
* We are on a mission to eliminate the manual work when dealing with taxes on online transactions.
* We have ambitious goals to make taxes simple, automated, borderless, and accessible for internet businesses around the world
Why else should you join Fonoa?
* We are backed by leading VC firms who have invested in many successful companies (Index Ventures and Omers Ventures)
* The size of the market and opportunity we have is massive, and we're well placed to be disrupting it.
* Flat hierarchy, open, honest and feedback driven principles.