Backend Engineer (Elixir)
CodeSandbox / Almere (NL)Apply on site
At CodeSandbox, we're building a collaborative online development platform that makes it easy for anyone to build web applications. Over 3 million people use us every month. As we're growing the team, we're looking for a Backend Engineer who can help us build the next iteration of CodeSandbox that will allow you to run any kind of project from anywhere.
As Backend Engineer (Elixir) you will help us build the next generation of a collaborative IDE, and open up CodeSandbox to an even wider audience. You'll be part of various key projects that will highly impact the experience of hundreds of thousands of CodeSandbox users and help drive business-critical decisions and data architectures.
Backend Engineers at CodeSandbox play an integral part in many other departments and teams, such as Infrastructure and Client Code. By integrating with the developer ecosystem, building new APIs, and driving innovation you will make development with CodeSandbox even more accessible., * Work on our Elixir-API and Service-Backend alongside a motivated and talented team.
* Get exposure to what it means to run Elixir in production and become an expert in the technology.
* Work with multidisciplinary teams of engineers and non-engineers alike, focusing on what is best for our customers and business.
* Actively participate in scoping and feature planning to help us build the right things at the right time.
* Maintain our backend system to stay up to date and relevant, by striving for high quality and well-tested code, contributing to our internal and external developer documentation, and tackling tech debt if needed.
* Work with our relational database (Postgres) and key-value store (Redis).
That said, these role responsibilities are just the start! At CodeSandbox, we encourage you to pursue wherever your interests take you. You'll have a chance to shape your role accordingly.
You'll thrive as a Backend Engineer (Elixir) if you:
* Are an experienced backend developer and have worked with relational databases, key/value stores and object relation mappers.
* Have experience in Rust and functional programming languages (nice to have).
* Have a passion for working in well-performing startup teams.
* Are curious to try out and learn new things, and are not afraid of making mistakes.
* Can deal with ambiguity and sometimes open-ended requirements as you will actively help shape the focus and roadmap for the product.
* Are not afraid to propose new approaches to problems and bring alternative solutions to discussions.
* Are equally comfortable and likely to step up to take the lead on a project as you are to ride shotgun and help implement.
* Demonstrate excellent soft skills, such as openly solicit and give feedback to improve and develop the team, constructively discuss approaches to come to a team solution, and communicate effectively with your peers.
At CodeSandbox we work from the idea that software development should be more accessible and collaborative. It should be possible for anyone to create an application if they have a great idea, and there should be no hassle in sharing this with others. We follow this mentality not only in how we build our product, but also in how we work with each other.
Whenever we start a new project, we include everyone on the team to help out. We expect everyone to be open to helping each other and generally encourage everyone to work together.
Conditions and benefits
At CodeSandbox, we're offering:
* A friendly, remote-first working environment.
* Competitive salary & equity.
* Flexible working hours.
* Unlimited paid time off, affordance-based. We expect you to take a minimum of 25 days.
* Work equipment of your choice.
* Educational & personal development budget.
* Annual health and wellness stipend.
* Freedom to create and run your own project.
* Parental leave for the moms and dads among us.
If you share our enthusiasm for making development more accessible and collaborative, we'd love to review your application!