Flow Traders / Amsterdam (NL)Apply on site
As a Legal Counsel at Flow Traders, you will be deeply embedded into the business. You will gain extensive knowledge of our core business by partnering with key business units in Trading and Technology. You will also be in close contact with our Risk, Compliance and Business Development teams in Amsterdam as well as in New York, London, Milan, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong and Cluj-Napoca.
In the first weeks you will be given the opportunity to understand the different parts of the company through our Flow Academy onboarding sessions. You will also see a variety of legal agreements ranging from authorized participant and market maker agreements to broker agreements. After a short period of time, you will be expected to work independently on reviewing and negotiating the agreements. You will be given the opportunity to deliver pragmatic and effective advice and solutions to the business directly yourself and work independently.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Negotiation / drafting / reviewing and advising on a wide variety of topics / legal agreements ranging from:
* Legal aspects regarding the onboarding of counterparties (terms of business and other documentation)
* Exchange membership and platform access documentation
* Issuer documentation such as authorized participant agreements, prospectuses and market making agreements
* Brokerage, clearing, ISDA, (reverse)give-up agreements and other types of financial and trading agreements
Collaborating and building strong working relationships with Trading, Technology, Risk and Operations, Regulatory Compliance and business development departments
Co-developing standard operating procedures, templates and policies for the Legal Department
A day in the life
The morning starts with catching up on e-mails that came in overnight from our offices in New York, London, Singapore and Hong Kong and some early emails that came in from our other European offices; these offices may need your legal assistance reviewing documentation and/or requesting specific advice for their business needs.
The rest of the day is different every day; one day you may be working on an authorized participant agreement and platform access documentation. Another day you may be reviewing a prime broker agreement, (reverse) give-up agreement and terms of business for the onboarding of counterparties and alike.
Before you start your review, you will have a chat with the relevant department(s) to clarify what type of relationship we, as Flow Traders, anticipate to set up, what the commercial drivers are and what the impact on the business is. You discuss with the business owner how to take this mutual work product forward. You have autonomy to guide that process in a manner that you feel is most efficient. This may be by setting up a call with the counterparty together with Trading, Risk or business development teams or any other way to get the envisaged relationship to the finish line.
In non-Covid-19 times, you may head to the gym or walk to the bar and have a drink or play some pool with your colleagues. Currently, these activities have been replaced by virtual team drinks, company-wide bingo, virtual cocktail sessions and many more., In this role, you are responsible for optimizing and improving compliance tools and processes, as well as ensuring that the day-to-day trading and business operations meet all regulatory requirements. This includes regulatory reporting, monitoring trading activities, and handling inquiries from exchanges. A key part of the role is analyzing the trading data, defining new controls, and building tools to automate processes. You will also act as a contact person for the software development teams to ensure that regulatory requirements are properly translated into technical requirements., * Define and build controls on reporting and monitoring processes, primarily by using Python, SQL and VBA
* Analyse trade and order data to provide new insight into trading behaviours
* Translate regulatory requirements into technical requirements
* Manage the implementation process of compliance requirements
* Test and verify newly implemented or adjusted tools, systems and controls
* Support the implementation of current and new trading rules & regulations
* Collect and analyze information for investigations, inquiries and audits, both internal and external
* Run day-to-day processes to ensure that Flow Traders meets all regulatory reporting obligations (e.g. MiFID II transaction and trade reporting)
* Review order/trade/transaction reports before submission to the regulator
* Propose and implement ways to improve day-to-day compliance, reporting and monitoring processes
Flow Traders is looking for a Senior Legal Counsel Financial Markets to join our Legal team in Amsterdam. The ideal candidate is a fast learner who enjoys becoming an expert in a short time frame and is detail-oriented, flexible and proactive. This is a unique opportunity to join a leading proprietary trading firm with an entrepreneurial and innovative culture at the heart of its business. We value quick-witted, creative minds and challenge them to make full use of their capacities. If you aim high, the sky is the limit!, Flow Traders is looking for an experienced Monitoring Analyst to join our growing Trading Compliance team in Amsterdam. The ideal candidate has proven analytical skills and the ability to assess complex situations quickly without being affected by (time) pressure. This is a unique opportunity to join a leading proprietary trading firm with an entrepreneurial and innovative culture at the heart of its business. We value quick-witted, creative minds and challenge them to make full use of their capacities. If you aim high, the sky is the limit!
* 5+ years of experience at an international law firm or relevant industry experience at a financial markets / legal finance team of a bank / trading firm / investment firm may also be considered
* Dutch or British Law Degree
* Affinity with financial markets
* Big plusses are knowledge:
* of the financial market ecosystem and the role of the various player in it (CCPs, various types of platforms, clearing and settlement process, etc) in general; and
* of the ETP/ETF ecosystem
Experience in negotiation of finance documentation / financial markets and/or trading documentation
Excellent attention to detail
A proactive and flexible personality
Proven analytical skills and the ability to translate between legal, commercial / technical implications quickly without being affected by (time) pressure
A fast learner that enjoys becoming an expert in a short time frame
A detail oriented, flexible and proactive personality, * At least 3 years of relevant work experience
* University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Computer Science or similar
* Experience with Python and SQL
* Extensive experience with Excel, including VBA
* Understanding of financial products and markets
* A proactive learner who is focused on the task, yet flexible and able to prioritize
* An independent self-starter with high regard to company policies and regulatory framework
* Personality that thrives in a fast-paced environment and fits in an Agile company culture
* Excellent attention to detail
* Proven analytical skills and the ability to assess complex situations quickly without being affected by (time) pressure
* Interest in and ability to work with different data capture, storage, and analysis techniques
* Experience in reporting processes, and the implementation of monitoring and controls is a plus
Conditions and benefits
We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with an extensive onboarding program, access to Flow Academy, the best working environment, the latest technology and continuous support. We go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started and stimulate innovation and collaboration through teamwork and our non-hierarchical approach. We offer competitive salary, annual discretionary bonus and other fantastic perks and benefits, such as:
* Flow Academy for continuous learning and opportunities to attend domain-related conferences
* Our own company boat
* In-house gym and sessions with our nutritionist or personal trainer
* In-house Bar and Lounge with an arcade, table tennis, billiards table and game consoles
* Daily catered lunch, amazing coffee and a fully stocked kitchen and snack bar
* Weekly chair massages
* Annual company trip and a variety of events throughout the year, such as the Year End Party that exceeds expectations
* Global rotations between our offices worldwide
* and more!
As we are unable to invite you over to our office, we would like to give you a virtual office tour .
+31 20 799 6799