Sleep Research Data Scientist
Philips / Eindhoven (NL)Apply on site
Philips has a long history of successfully introducing innovative products to the market (lamps, CD players, medical imaging equipment, patient monitors, etc). Today, Philips is connecting its products to the digital world, introducing new services and integrated solutions based on digital technologies. Therefore, Philips Research and Philips product divisions rely more and more on data and machine learning techniques, which are the core of new Philips intelligent solutions. We are looking for a candidate to join the Sleep Research Team in the Remote Patient Management & Chronic Care Department.
You are responsible for
As a Sleep Research Data Scientist, you will:
- Apply, adjust and advance the state-of-the art of algorithms, software technologies and data infrastructure used as a backbone for data analytics techniques and use them in Philips products, services, software and solutions;
- Participate in research projects that address data analytics challenges and create relevant modules and tools that enables their work;
- Align and network with opinion leaders within Philips Research, the Business Sectors, and clinical experts;
- Scout for new insights and technologies by visiting conferences, universities and monitor the literature and Internet sources as well as work closely with Philips data experts and application specialists, such as sleep researchers, and sleep physicians;
- Explore, experiment and pilot in internal concept creation projects.
An overview of your tasks:
- Design and develop algorithms and software modules that will facilitate operations in the following area: signal processing of physiological signals, classical, deep, reinforcement, transfer, and active learning, by enlarging relevant knowledge and bringing-in new knowledge;
- Apply data science modules and techniques on large sleep data sets collected within Philips Research, the Business Sectors, and obtained from clinical partners, to create new insights and learnings that will help to improve Philips products and develop new sleep propositions;
- Pro-actively make knowledge available for operational use within Philips Research and Philips, by making modules reusable by others as well contribute to successful transfers of research results to customers;
- Keep abreast of technical, application and clinical developments in the field of sleep and respiratory care, showing interest in the business aspects;
- Contribute to the definition and organization of (clinical) data collection studies;
- In collaboration with external clinicians, patients and healthcare organizations, identify and translate unmet needs in the management of sleep disorders, and sleep-disordered breathing;
- Contribute to the exploration and development of new concepts and solutions for diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders, specifically sleep-disordered breathing;
- Contribute to the definition of the departments research program;
- Contribute pro-actively to a creative and inspiring working environment.
You are a part of
Philips Research is the source of many advanced developments in Healthcare, Lifestyle and Technology. Building on 100 years of experience in industrial research and our world-leading patent position, we are dedicated to bringing meaningful innovations that improve people's lives. We provide technology options for innovations in the area of health and well-being, targeted at both developed and emerging markets. Positioned at the front-end of the innovation process, we work on everything from spotting trends and ideation to proof of concept and first-of-a-kind product development. For more insights you can visit: www.research.philips.com
We believe that effective sleep therapy management empowers patients to rediscover their dreams and to have the freedom to live a fulfilling life by restoring their ability to sleep comfortably - as sleep is intended to be. As a global leader in Sleep Diagnostic and Therapy solutions, we are passionate about innovating patient-driven designed products that help patients lead healthy lives and, for providers, solutions designed to increase patient adoption, long-term use and enhanced efficiencies that help them attend to patient’s needs.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- A MSc/PhD in biomedical engineering, computer science or another relevant area providing good foundation in computer science and software engineering applied to data science
- Affinity with the research way of working
- Research experience on sleep-related topics, specifically sleep disordered breathing
- Familiarity with signal processing and machine learning
- Hands-on experience developing modular components, specifically in Python
- Knowledge of parallel distributed computing and especially big data platforms is a plus
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong personal relationships at all levels, both internal and external to Philips Research
- Ability to understand customer needs and transform those into practical solutions
- Team player in multidisciplinary and international settings
- Curious, proactive, fast learner and able to quickly pick up new areas
In return, we offer you
A path towards your most rewarding career. Succeeding in this market-based role in a complex environment will open many doors for your long term career, in other areas in Philips or otherwise. We also believe that we are at our best as a company when you are at yours as a person. Thus, we offer competitive health benefits, a flexible work schedule and access to local well-being focused activities. Furthermore, Philips University is available to all employees for learning and development opportunities.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 2.5 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog. Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process, or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions.